As most of you know, one of the reasons for bad breath is bad oral hygiene. If you do not brush, the food particles stay in the mouth for the longest causing bad breath
Sometimes you may disagree that you have bad breath. How can you tell if you have bad breath? Can you smell your own breath? Don’t worry, here is the way you can test it yourself as you can’t be asking other people to tell you if your breath smells. This is what you can do.
- Lick the back of your palm or your wrist and let the saliva dry for a moment
- Now take a whiff
- You should definitely be able to tell if you are suffering from bad breath.
Another way of testing is to floss at the back of your mouth and smell the floss. If it smells then you have bad breath.
Reason for bad breath
- Bad breath is usually caused by odor-producing bacteria that are present because of bad dental hygiene.
- If there is an imbalance in the gut bacteria
- Gum disease & more
What can you do about it?
Try these solutions before you visit your doctor.
- Brush your teeth twice a day and maintain your oral hygiene
- Clean your tongue
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, and tobacco
- Drink water and don’t let your mouth dry
- Avoid extreme use of onion and garlic in your food.
- Eat healthily
- Use green cardamom as suggested below
Does cardamom help with bad breath?
Let us find out. Green Cardamoms are used in ancient times as a remedy for bad breath. It is said that chewing cardamom may kill mouth bacteria that are responsible for bad breath.
There are many other spices like fennel, cloves, mint, tulsi leaves, and more that can be consumed, but here we will concentrate on green cardamom, as it is one the best ways suggested to control bad breath.
How can you use green cardamom?
- Whole Cardamom pods – Chewing one pod of cardamom for a few minutes helps in getting rid of bad breaths as they are very aromatic.
- Add some green elaichi/cardamom powder in hot water and use it to gargle.
- Add it to your tea
- Add it to your sweet recipes like rice pudding, payasam
How many cardamom pods you can consume in a day?
1 or 2 would be great per day.
Make sure the intake is not higher than the amount needed by your body. Anything taken in excess will make harm in the long run than good. It is recommended that you consult a doctor / Ayurvedic about the correct amount of cardamom to be consumed on a daily basis or if you are pregnant or suffering from any other conditions.
Click on the above Picture to check out Malabar Green Cardamom 8mm.